Thursday 13 June 2013

My Cycletta challenge - will it be mind over matter?

Wow these two months have flown by - but I do have an excuse for not writing in this time. Honest.



In early March, I signed up to volunteer with Mind in Cambridgeshire, as I know both friends and family with mental health challenges and have seen the effects it's had on their lives. This is therefore very close to my heart and I wanted to keep supporting such a fantastic organisation, especially as everyone has 'mental health', admittedly to varying degrees. I want to help raise awareness of this and challenge the unfortunate stigma that is attached to it.

In the process I have met many wonderful people, attended volunteer training days and helped out with a Street Theatre Campaign in Cambridge which raised awareness of men's reluctance to talk about their feelings.

Mind staff, volunteers and actors from the Street Theatre performance

In the meantime, I have decided to enter Cycletta - the UK’s leading series of women-only bike rides, supported by Olympic Gold Medallist Victoria Pendleton. I will be cycling 40km at the Bedfordshire event on 30 June 2013 - only three weeks away, eek! 

The real drive behind signing up was to fundraise for Mind as I feel passionately about their mission. As a keen cyclist, I also wanted to push myself and it's one of the only sports I actually enjoy and am reasonably good at. I have affectionately been nicknamed 'Power Thighs' by a few I won't name. You know who you are :D 

As it'll be my first long-distance cycle, I have invested in a second hand hybrid bike (am picking it up at the weekend, very exciting!) and will be following the smooth and oh so picturesque Guided Bus route all the way to St Ives and back - around 40km (24 miles). Wish me luck! 

You can read more about my story on the MiC website. 

At the end of training, feeling proud of myself
I have managed to raise £85 so far, surpassing my initial target of £50, so I am very happy and touched with all the contributions. If you're feeling charitable, please visit my JustGiving page for more info. If we can reach £150 then then this will pay for a mental health awareness workshop for 1 local community group. Thank you in advance. 

Before Cycletta, I am also attending the Culture, Health and Wellbeing International conference in Bristol on 24 June and then in July The Festival of Public Health UK in Manchester. I cannot wait. Here's to an enriching few months of health and fitness!

No comments:

Post a Comment